Sunday, October 19, 2008

I saw my first whales of the season

I was sitting at my favourite cafe at the wharf on Friday morning, when the whale siren went off. I can't hear the siren from home, so I was really happy to be in the right place at the right time, and quickly drove to the nearest whale watching platform. There were three whales playing, two adults and a calf, breaching and sticking their fins up out of the water, making huge splashes. The whales were pretty far out so you won't see them on the photo, but at least you can see the great view from the platform!
Often the whales will come right in to the bay, last year I saw one just below the platform, as close as it was possible to be. You can also go out on the catamaran Cat Balou and see the whales close-up.

Don't miss the Eden Whale Festival! It's on next weekend, 31 October and 1-2 November.

No comments: